Rock Tumbling Hobby Forum Usage Rules and Guidelines
Welcome to the Rock Tumbling Hobby Forum
We are an international, family-friendly PG-13 forum community, dedicated to learning and growing in the shared interests of various lapidary hobbies. All are welcome to come and participate in this community, as we strive to create a fun, friendly and inviting atmosphere. We invite all to have fun and enjoy all aspects of the forum but please follow the guidelines below and work to keep your posting as civil and polite as possible towards your fellow members. In general, please treat everyone with respect, even if you do not agree with their opinion or decisions. Member/Forum squabbles should be left at the door and not brought to light in the open forum. If a member feels a situation has become intolerable or violates these rules and guidelines, please privately bring it to the attention of staff.
New members please note: Selling on this forum, including promoting your own website directly or indirectly, is a priviledge granted to established members in strict adherence to the guidelines posted below in this article section titled Selling on the RTH Forum. Any post on the forum, Shoutbox chat message, or unsolicitated private message judged to be a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules, can potentially result in loss of selling priviledge, deleted posts, manually lowered post counts, or permanent ban from the forum, with or without warning.
General Posting Rules and Guidelines
- Please post in the most appropriate category as it relates to your topic.
- Posts which are divisive in nature (politics/religion/etc.) are not allowed on the open board or the Shoutbox chat area and will be deleted or moved to The Cave.
- Posts about this forum including requests for technical assistance should be posted only in the Forum Technical Help and Testing area.
- Before starting a new thread, use the various search tools to see if your topic or question has already been addressed.
- Vulgar language (including creative spelling to bypass the censored word list) or photos are not allowed.
- Member posts that are found to purposely berate, insult, or belittle other members are subject to disiplinary action.
- Staff may lock, move, or delete any thread at any time for any reason.
- Do not create a new thread for the purpose of discussing a locked thread or other staff activity.
- When a spam post is encountered, please use the "report post" tool to notify staff.
- Do not post any images that may cause distress including 'flashers' (epilepsy) and 'screamers' (images that suddenly change to a screaming face).
- Do not post images (including avatar and signature) hosted by another site unless allowable by the host site.
- Posts that discuss illegal activities, transactions, or websites are not allowed.
- Do not use the Private Message (PM) system to spam members for sales or to direct them to another website.
- Automated script account creation, participation, and content scraping is not permitted.
- Any other activity that violates the Proboards Terms of Service, thus putting the entire forum at risk, is prohibited.
Selling on the RTH Forum
Members in good standing who have become involved in the community and have met the miniumum requirement of 100 quality posts are welcome to offer items for sale or trade in the RTH Marketplace, Buy Sell Trade. Please read the pinned article General guidelines and policies for the RTH Marketplace before beginning to sell or trade on this forum. Do not attempt to artificially increase your post count with mass creation of short or meaningless posts. Any post on the forum, Shoutbox chat message, or unsolicitated private message judged to be a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules, can potentially result in loss of selling priviledge, deleted posts, manually lowered post counts, or permanent ban from the forum, with or without warning.
Reporting a Post
If you encounter a post that you believe is in violation of our guidelines, or was obviously made by a spammer/robot, please use the "Report Post" tool to notify staff. To access the "Report Post" tool, click on the gear icon in the top-right corner of the post and then choose the “Report Post” option. Please include a short, valid reason for the report even if you think it is obvious. Staff will review the report and take appropriate action. Repeatedly making reports without proper justification or any other abuse of the system may result in a warning.
Levels of Staff Warning (only staff and the warned member can see when this action has been taken)
- Verbal - staff will notify you via private message that a situation has come to our attention.
- 25% (temporary, 30 days) - minor infraction, easily forgiven and forgotten.
- 50% (temporary, 60 days) - moderate infraction, OK you have our attention so lets turn things around.
- 75% (temporary, 90 days) - serious infraction - skating on thin ice at this point.
- 100% (can apply for reinstatement) - username has been blocked.
- Banned (nuclear option, permanent) - account disabled or deleted, IP blocked.
Appealing a Staff Decision
If you feel staff has taken inappropriate action, do not create a thread or post about it in public. Please see if you can first resolve the issue with the staff member via private message. If you are unable to resolve the issue directly with the staff member, contact the Admin and describe the situation in clear and polite terms. Your complaint will be reviewed and a final decision will be communicated to you via private message. If after the above resolution steps have been tried and you still feel you are being treated unfairly, further guidance might be obtained on the Proboards Support forum site.
Member ranks are intended only as a fun way to recognize the community participation of our members. Member ranks change incrementally based on post count, or custom ranks can be assigned solely at the discretion of the staff.
Safeguards and Recommended Cautions
- No member of this board will ever be forced or coerced publicly or privately to reveal any personal information such as picture of self, real name, phone number, address, Paypal address, etc. We highly recommend against sharing of said personal information with any other member. Sharing of any personal information with other members or staff is 100% voluntary and done at your own risk.
- Email addresses - the email address you used to create your membership is visible to staff may be used occasionally for communication or notification purposes. Staff will never use your email malisciously or to spam you to buy products or services. We highly recommend that you protect your email address and never post it in a forum post because public forums are continually subjected to visits by email harvesters - scripts with the purpose of collecting email addresses to compile lists which are then sold to spammers.
- External Hyperlinks - Links to information on sites other than those directly affiliate with this forum are done occasionally by staff and or members and are intended for information or entertainment only. We recommend that you exercise extreme caution before clicking on any links you encounter in any forum posts. Staff here is not able to verify the accuracy or reliability of any link posted on this forum for content or safety and therefore clicking on any link that leaves this forum is done solely at the user's risk.
If you cannot see several non-intrusive ad banners directly below this text, please disable your ad blocker(s) for this site. Every ad displayed to signed in members on this site has been hand selected for relevant content, and your patronage directly benefits this forum community, thanks!